Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Books Are My Kryptonite

People always ask me why we sell books from larger publishers as we're know for carrying mainly independent zines and graphic novels. I guess the main reason is that I grew up with a lot of these books and wanted to be around them all day. It's pretty awesome when someone comes in and loses their minds because the"The Giving Tree" was one of their favorite books as a kid and they didn't know it was still being published.

I am pretty picky though when it comes to which titles we'll carry and we don't just stick to children's literature. Now that the holiday rush is over, we're re-stocking our shelves with some old favorites (Where The Wild Things Are, The Missing Piece, Mr. Men) and a handful of new titles (Mister B Gone, Frog Belly Rat Bone)....

I could give two squirts when it comes to hockey but this story about a boy haunted by a Toronto Maple Leafs sweater is amazing. Check ca!



This was one of my faves as a kid. Usually anything to do with monsters had my full attention. It doesn't hurt that the artwork by Mercer Mayer is awesome as well....



Ever seen the movie based on this book? It's pretty budget but still kinda creepy. This would be amazing if it were made today Psst Hollywood, call me!


M. Saseks city series are gorgeous and inspiring! I could stare at these illustrations for ever.

HQ pal James Braithwaite now has a book version of his and Jerry Levitan's Oscar Nominated short "I Met The Walrus". It even comes with a DVD. Totally awse!

Jeffrey Brown will always be a go to book here at HQ. I'm always recommending his work because everyone can relate to his anecdotal stories of awkward relationships. Other titles we carry: Clumsy, AEIOU, I Am Going To Be Small, Unlikely, Incredible Change Bots, Every Girls Is The End Of The World For Me and I Am Going To Be Small + a million more.

Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and John Totelben. Best team in comics history? Yes. Other Alan Moore titles we carry include The Watchmen, V For Vendetta and Swamp Thing Book 2

I would be very surprised if we didn't get a version of Charles Burns' classic "Black Hole". It's gonna happen.


If you can't crack a smile while reading anything by David Shrigley then you sir, are a robot.





No comments: