Friday, April 30, 2010

Magic with a photocopier



Whenever I think of a "Gig poster" the first thing that pops into my head is an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white paper (Goldenrod if you were rich) with crudely drawn artwork and hastily scissor and glue design. Spelling corrections? Why bother? If you had an hour to spare, you could whip up something pretty awesome. As a young whipper snapper I had the walls of my room plastered with these masterpieces. and don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing these, I really loved them and still do. It was a time before blogs and Myspace music sites (which seem just as out of date), so this was a bands main source of getting you to come out to their poorly organized shows..

I recently came across a pile of old fliers from shows ranging from the late eighties through the nineties. The thought of these turning to dust before anyone else who was either involved or just interested in crude graphic design could see them was too much to bear. I posted a bunch of these up on my Facebook page and people where crawling out of the woodwork to pipe in about either being at the show, being the band that was playing or being the person responsible for designing the flier. So, here is a small taste of the pure genius pouring out of Winnipeg, Manitoba from '89- 95-ish.








This last one was kind of an homage to the old gig poster done by Eddie Ayoub. It was for a Michael Jackson themed exhibit we did in 2003.

No comments: