Friday, May 30, 2008

The Story of a Style Bubble


So, I've been humming and hawing about whether to do a post on this exciting thing that just happened to me. It's kind of a "braggy" story I guess, but if you can't brag on your own blog, where else can you I suppose.

I guess if you want to get right down to it, this all started about 2 years ago when I started reading a fashion blog called Style Bubble. The blog is written by a London girl named Susie, who for all intensive purposes is referred to as Susie Bubble. So cute, so fun, love it.

So on and on the months go, I'm reading her blog daily. It's fun, she's experimental with her clothes, loves to layer it on and is not afraid of colour. She also writes posts on a wide variety of fashion topics, not just "this is what I wore today" which I also like. She cares about the history of fashion too, chalk another point up on the list. It's official, I have a style crush.


Then about a month or so ago she writes a post about this crazy "cage" ish dress she's lusting over (the original by Comme des Garcons) as well as this "cage" skirt thing made by Acne jeans, but only for the runway and editorial, not available for sale! So I wrote in her comments that she should put a request out for a custom order on Etsy. But instead of doing that she just shot me an e-mail and asked me to do it, since I've been commenting for awhile on her blog and we have our little sort of internet "connection" that way.



Sooooo long story short, I did the dress, we collaborated and many e-mails were shot back and forth. Many photos were taken and finally the dress was completed and sent off to jolly old England. Sadly I had put in a little extra present for her which was lost in the packaging, but I'm working on a "solution" for that right now (secrets, secrets).



Anyways, for those interested in reading the posts Susie made about this collaboration, here are the links:

A Modern Dressmaking Tale

Just the Beginning

So that's my story, hopefully I'll have more fun collaborative adventures to show you all soon...
Overall though, Style Bubble is a highly addictive blog for anyone interested in something a bit fresher than your average fare. I really love it because for me it really sums up the feelings of excitement and possibility that I always get while visiting London. All hail the Bubble!

www.stylebubble.typepad.com


****

6 comments:

K.Line said...

I say, brag away. I was already reading your blog (and Susie's) for quite a while before she posted on your dress. And I thought it was so interesting to learn about that 2 people I don't know - who don't really even know one another - could be interconnected in this way!

The workmanship on that dress is beautiful and I hope her post brings some new readers (and shoppers) your way.

K

PS - Emailed you directly about the vintage 8 1/2 shoes again tonight...

Anonymous said...

Hey Angie, I met you yesterday at Puces Pop, with the perogue! I saw that post when she first published it and ooooowed and aaaaaawed at how cute that cage-dress was, so congrats!!

Victoire said...

omg Angie!!! This is probably the most exciting thing I've heard in a long while!!! I'm so happy for you, and can't even imagine the thrill of a collaboration with Susie Bubble! You deserve any attention this brings your way as a designer! Man, score one for the awesomeness of the Internet too, eh?

Anonymous said...

To add my gushy two cents, it was such a ma-hussive pleasure working with Angie and it's positively shaming that I lost the skirt that she made for me.... really embarrassing stuff... it's been so much fun for me playing with the dress but I'm now gonna be working it in reality...

The HQ Duo said...

Oh Susie, a sweetheart to the very end ;)

queengilda said...

that cage dress you made was so pretty. i love the colors! to be honest, i totally knocked off the garcons idea and made one of my own too, then i read susie's blog that said you made one for her. :) well, at least our cage dresses don't look too alike, so neither of us copied each other. we just had great brilliant minds that think alike. hee hee!!