Friday, November 30, 2007

This Just In: Wear Stretchy Clothing or Tunic Tops to the Vernissage this Saturday...

I've been baking up a storm this week, so dress appropriately. Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll (at right). I'd like to say that unfortunately there will not be popcorn balls at the verni, since as of yesterday they were being beaten out by the sugar cookies, but maybe we'll have a little shopping/snacking/drinking party at HQ closer to X-mas, which will definitely include popcorn balls. Here's what's on the menu for the vernissage:

I only made the swirly version above, not all those cookies!

Sugar cookies with a great peppermint swirl in the middle. I also did a version with a peach swirl in the middle, and my cookies are stars, not circles. I got the idea (and the pic) from the latest issue of Blueprint magazine

I found this pic online, but mine look pretty
much exactly like this. I'll be making them tonight!


Chocolate Peanut Butter balls! My grandmas recipe, these are a Christmas favorite that I am now forced to make every year. Delicious and sickeningly sweet, I don't even eat them anymore, I just make them for everyone else!



Shortbread spritz cookies (the spritz is the name of the cookie press). I just picked up my own cookie press this year, but the recipe is my grandmas (an old scandinavian recipe), and she's been making them FOREVER using this giant vintage metal cookie press. It's about 1 1/2 ft. long. I'm not even joking.

This isn't my pic either,
but I wish I had a stand like this for my cupcakes.


And of course, the HQ staple and most voted for treat in the poll, the mini cupcakes. Keeping things festive, I made spice cake, 1/2 with vanilla and 1/2 with creamcheese icing, with a dash of nutmeg on top. (thanks to Jill for icing them for me on Saturday since I will be in Ottawa for Ladyfest during the day, you saved the party Jill!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
1. I tagged you on my blog today, a sort of networking game one of my Brooklyn friends got me involved in...
2. Angie I am so glad that I am not the only person who reads Blueprint! I've felt a bit in the closet about this, mainly because James teases me for reading Martha Stewart. But now I don't care because I'm not alone! I'm definitely going to bake those peppermint swirl sugar cookies... they were so yummy!
Stay Warm!

The HQ Duo said...

Ha Ha, thanks Angela! Blueprint is like a Domino magazine version of Martha Stewart. Good ideas are good idea right, no matter where they come from!

Someone at the vernissage actually thought I hand swirled the candy to get that pattern. Until I learn to do that at the same time as sewing an owl, taking the dogs for a walk and writing on the blog, I'll rely on Martha for tips like that anytime!

I'll check out the link thing on your blog...

Oh also, can you send me a pic of you in the jeans you bought? I'll send you an e-mail too, just in case you're not checking back here.

Angie